Business Law – Consumer Protection Act
The Consumer Protection Act, 1986 protects the interests of consumers in the market. This act contains the following definitions −
Definition 1 − “Appropriate laboratory” refers to a laboratory or organization which is
- Recognized by the Central Government;
- Recognized by a State Government,
- Any laboratory or organization established under any law for the time being in force, which is maintained and financed or aided by the Central Government or a State Government for carrying out analysis or test of any goods for defects.
Definition 2 − “Complainant” refers to
- A consumer
- Any voluntary consumer association registered under the Companies Act, 1956
- The Central Government or any State Government
- Consumers having the same interest
Definition 3 − “Complaint” refers to any allegation in writing made by a complainant of
- An unfair or restrictive trade practice
- The goods bought suffering from defects
- The services hired having deficiencies
- Goods sold by a trader being in excess price
- Goods hazardous to life and safety being sold by any trader
Definition 4 − “Consumer” refers to a person who
- Buys any goods
- Hires any service
Definition 5 − “Consumer dispute” refers to a dispute where a consumer make a complaint against a person and the person denies the allegations contained in the complaint.
- “Defect” refers to any fault in the quality or quantity of any goods.
- “Deficiency” refers to fault in the quality or quantity of any services.
- “District Forum” refers to a Consumer Dispute Redressed Forum.
- “Goods” refers to goods as defined in the Sale of Goods Act, 1930.
- “Manufacturer” refers to a person who
- Makes and manufactures goods and parts
- Assembles goods made by other manufactures and claims the end product to be manufactured by him.
- Puts his trademark on commodities manufactured by other manufacturers and claims the commodities to be manufactured by him.
- “National Commission” refers to the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.
- “Notification” refers to a notification published in the Official Gazette.
- “Prescribed” refers to prescribed rules made by the State Government or the Central government.
- “Service” refers to service of any description, which is made available to potential users.
- “State Commission” refers to a Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission established in a State.
- “Trader” refers to a person who sells or distributes any goods for sale, including the manufacturer.